Monday - Thursday: 09:00-19:00
Tel: +47 22 99 55 10
Postal address: Pb. 6853 St. Olavs plass, 0130 Oslo
The library in social media
Are the library's group rooms available?
Check TimeEdit (select the library's group rooms 1 and 2)
🔓 = Access on campus or by FEIDE login. (Your KHiO username and password).
The Aria Database is a collection of information about opera and operatic arias. Besides providing basic information about each aria, the Database includes translations for many arias and aria texts for those that are not affected by copyright restrictions. The Database also provides access to a collection of operatic sound files to give visitors an idea of what each aria sounds like. The Aria Database also contains information on available scores and sound files that can be purchased to aid in study and enjoyment. Currently, the Database holds information on the complete operatic aria collections of Mozart, Verdi, Berlioz, Wagner, and Puccini as well as the partial collections of over 50 other composers.
This database provides coverage for hundreds of periodicals, books, academic journals, magazines and trade publications designed for use by a diverse audience that includes architectural students, project architects, interior designers, urban & land use planners, designers, faculty and more. With full text for more than 370 journals, more than 200 books, and over 63,000 images, Art & Architecture Complete is the leading source of information for researchers in these areas of study.
Artnet is the leading online resource for the international art market, and the destination to buy, sell, and research art online. Founded in 1989 with the goal of bringing transparency to the art world, artnet’s comprehensive suite of products offers a variety of art market resources to our audience of collectors, dealers, and art enthusiasts.
An online resource of more than 1.9 million images in the arts, architecture, humanities, and sciences.
400 000 references to books, articles, catalogues and theses on modern and contemporary articles
Over five million Norwegian fulltext newspaper and magazine articles. From the 1960s until yesterday.
The Danish library union catalogue.
The Norwegian university and college libraries´ union catalogue.
Norwegian public and research libraries´ union catalogue.
Nordic theatre publisher
Research and artistic development at Norwegian universities, colleges and institutes.
Oslo public library catalogue.
References to articles in 500 design and applied ArtsReferanser til artikler i 500 design- og kunsthåndverktidsskrifter
Norwegian museum collections: art, arts and crafts, cultural history and much more.
Database of Norwegian poetry.
DOAJ is an online directory that indexes and provides access to high quality, open access, peer-reviewed journals
Modern dramatists and plays written in or translated to English. From 1956-.
Norwegian Theatre Council database of plays.
Campus access only
Explore 48,633,358 artworks, artefacts, books, videos and sounds from across Europe
A Journal of Socially-Engaged Art Criticism
Nordic publishing house for drama.
Access to approx. 7 million patents (only American). Tilgang til ca 7 millioner patenter med tekst og bilde (foreløpig bare amerikanske) fra 1790-tallet til i dag
Web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
Classical sheet music
60 000 fulltext articles, books and reviews. 170 fulltext journals 360 ebooks.
Transcriptions and translations of arias and songs.
Citation Index that covers more than 1,700 arts and humanities journals starting from 1975. In addition, 250 major scientific and social sciences journals are also covered.
Oslo National Academy of the Arts Digital Archive
Norwegian bibliography of art history.
The Swedish library union catalogue
Contemporary Norwegian plays
Leading channel for classical music
The Norwegian National Theatre script archive
Norwegian institutional archives
Articles from 375 Norwegian journals.
Nordic publishing house for drama.
Sheet music in Norwegian libraries.
700 000 digital photos from the New York Public Librarys archives.
Operabase has documented operatic activity worldwide since 1996, with over 410,000 performances on file. It records the work of artists in over 900 theatres, and publishes season information to opera-goers in 23 languages.
Dictionaries: Norwegian, English, German, French, Italian, Spanish and Swedish.
Norwegian theatre productions (1876-2000).
Database of Norwegian songs.
Catalogue of Norwegian actors and actresses.
For username and password, ask our librarian.
Database of materials for architects and artists.
Nordic publishing house for drama.
Educational resource for avant-garde material available on the internet. It offers visual, concrete and sound poetry, expanding to include film and sound art mp3 archives.
European art from 1100-1850. (Over 22600 works.)
WorldCat is the world's largest library catalog, helping you find library materials online
Feel free to ask your librarian for help!
Library lending policy
Library loan card
Students at the Oslo National Academy of the Arts (KHiO), use their college ID-card for library loans. If a new student does not have a valid card they can use another form of identification.
Employees use their ID-card as loan card. Contact the library to activate your card.
Students and staff are our primary users and can borrow freely from our collections. If you do not find what you require you can request an inter-library loan.1 This service is reserved for students and staff at Oslo National Academy of the Arts. Some materials must be used within the library.
Students and employees can also borrow directly from the libraries of The Oslo School of Architecture and Design and Norwegian Academy of Music
1 Students need to visit and loan material from the following libraries in Oslo (if it is available for loans there): The Oslo School of Architecture and Design, Norwegian Academy of Music, Oslo University College, University of Oslo Library, Oslo Public Library (Deichmanske), and the National Library Oslo.
- The loan-taker is personally responsible for all loans
- Lost or damaged documents must be compensated for according to library policies
- To borrow you must have a valid library card or ID
- The loan period is dependent on the document type
- Loans that are not returned on time will incur a fee
- Unpaid fines could result in legal penalties
- Documents borrowed from other libraries must be treated according to the regulations laid down by those institutions
- The library card will be terminated if loans are not returned according library policies
- Loss of a student ID-card must be reported to the library
- The library must be notified of any name and address changes
- If these regulations are not followed you will loose your rights to use library facilities
- 30 days for books and notes
- 7 days for films in VHS and DVD format, audio books and music CDs, theatre manuscripts, curriculum literature, journals (latest issue not for loan)
Information for faculty
New material is added to the Library's already extensive collection on an ongoing basis, to provide faculty and staff with access to a comprehensive range of quality resources in areas of our institution’s education and research. Users are encouraged to be actively involved in selecting new material.
ISBN and ISSN
The library administers the institutional ISBN range (International Standard Book Number) and takes care of the legal depositing of all materials produced with the National Library in Mo i Rana. For more information about ISBN and ISSN (International Standard Serial Number), please see this page.
The Kopinor Higher education licence requires all coursepacks consisting of two or more book excerpts to be registered for clearance in Bolk. With the Bolk service, you can search, compile and order digital and/or printed coursepacks through one single solution. Bolk secures overview and budget control. With digital delivery, you avoid extra costs for unsold copies.
The Library can help you with literature searches if you are stuck. For other necessary course information, please contact the student administration! Clearing the rights and/or producing the coursepacks may take up to 3 weeks, so start producing them as soon as possible. For more information, please see this page.
Artistic Research and Publishing
- CRIStin - The Norwegian Research Information System
- KHIODA - Our own institutional repository (digital archive - fulltext, images, sound and film)
- Nora - search Norwegian institutional repositories (open access, fulltext)
- EndNote and Zotero - reference management systems
- Scientific journals, series and publishers
If you have any questions regarding what to register, please contact the library: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scientific Journals, Series and Publishers
NSD is responsible for the Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals, Series and Publishers. This forms the basis for research publications that have an impact on the weighted funding model. Here you can search for authorised publication channels, also within the design and arts fields: Search the Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals, Series and Publishers.
Our various training programs aim to develop students’ information literacy skills.
Our goal is that our students should be able to:
- Master general and specific search techniques in information sources relevant to their studies.
- Be critically selective in their choice of information sources.
- Stay updated within their subject area.
- Know how to use and cite sources in an academic work.
We adjust the form and content of our training according to student level and academic program.
The Oslo National Academy Library interprets information literacy according to the following definition:
"Information literacy is knowing when and why you need information, where to find it, and how to evaluate, use and communicate it in an ethical manner." (Chartered institute of Library and information professionals, 2004)
About the library
We can offer faculty and students access to one of Norway's finest and most modern art libraries with vast, updated collections (books, cd's and film), a large collection of journals, - and specialised librarians.
Our collections cover fine art, design, applied arts, crafts and performing arts. We have approximately 75 000 volumes plus a large collection of film and music, as well as special collections (music scores, theatre manuscripts, etc.) The library also offers access to several databases covering the different disciplines within the arts.
- 80 300 books and small prints (including 1000 theatre programs, 1300 plays in book form og 700 poetry collections)
- 3500 films (video and DVD)
- 220 journals in subscription
- 20 000 dias
- 1600 cds, lps and tapes
- 380 artists' books
- 2000 theatre scripts
The library also subscribes to national and international newspapers.
Biblioteket registrerer og tilgjengeliggjør dokumentasjon fra skolenes virksomhet gjennom tidene:
- Statens håndverks- og kunstindustriskole, dagens avdelinger for Design og Kunstfag ved Kunsthøgskolen i Oslo: 500 hovedoppgaver
- Avdeling Kunstakademiet: Dias og DVD fra avgangsutstillinger og "Åpent forum"
- Avdelingene Balletthøgskolen, Operahøgskolen og Teaterhøgskolen: Fotomapper fra 1950-tallet til i dag; Forestillinger på DVD fra 1980-tallet frem til i dag
Hvordan finne frem på biblioteket
- Kart over biblioteket
- Hyllesignatur "Ref.": Dette materialet er oppstilt innerst i biblioteket. "Ref." står for "Referansesamling". Dette er materiale som må brukes på stedet. Ikke til hjemlån.
- Hyllesignatur "Nærmag." eller "Mag.": Denne litteraturen må du be bibliotekaren om å finne frem for deg da den er oppstilt i magasin.
- Bibliotekets aller eldste litteratur er pr i dag ikke registrert i vår digitale katalog. Denne må du søke opp i kortkatalogen som du finner vis à vis skranken. Dette materialet står i vårt fjernmagasin, oppstilt etter løpenummer (dvs. etter når det ble kjøpt inn). Her skjuler det seg mye spennende gammelt boklig materiale, - så denne katalogen er absolutt verdt å utforske!
- Samlingene er stilt opp etter Deweys desimalklassifikasjon. De ti hovedklassene innen Dewey .
- Bjørge Vestli
- Head Librarian and Subject Specialist in Performing Arts
- +47 945 23 260
- Torill Weigaard
- Head Librarian and Subject Specialist Fine Art
- +47 945 23 306